Nutrients, Manure and Composting
Objectives of the Event
To discuss strategies for making better use of nutrients in manure from the dairy or drylot as well as spoilt fodder.
“Waste” products such as manure, effluent and ruined hay are a valuable resource.
Reflections on the Event
A large crowd of over 70 farmers turned out to hear about:
- the nutrient content of manure stockpiles from feedoads and drylots
- the potential (and pitfalls) of extracting energy from biogas
- how to compost spoiled hay
- nutrient mapping; the benefits and how to get started
- effluent management options from the USA
- an update on the Riverina nutrient demonstration sites
Other Event Information
The event was jointly organised by the YDDP program.