Succeeding through the seasons Part 1 – Kydd
There has been a steady decline in rainfall over this period and irrigation allocations have been low leading to many changes in the Kydd’s farming system. The key points from their operation include:
- Irrigated pasture continues to be the main source of feed
- More land has been purchased to reduce the risk of exposure to the forage market in times of drought
- Silage is the main form of stored forage
- Cow numbers are flexible and will be reduced if the business becomes too reliant on bought-in forage
- Heat stress is managed by keeping the cows closer to the dairy to reduce walking and offering more supplements
Download the case study.