Succeeding through the seasons Part 1 – Singleton
There has been a steady decline in rainfall over this period and irrigation allocations have been low and variable. The Singleton’s have responded by:
- More land has been purchased to increase the area for home grown forage
- Irrigated pastures continue to be the main source of feed from April to November with a focus on annual pastures
- The milking herd is confined to a feedpad from December to March and fed a total mixed ration
- Summer forage crops are grown for hay and silage
- Feeding infrastructure has been developed to improve feed use, provide a more balanced ration and to improve cow comfort.
Download the case study.