Succeeding through the seasons Part 2 – Litchfield
Low rainfall and limited irrigation allocations have made dairying challenging for the Litchfields over the last 10 years. The key points from their feedlot operation include:
- Investment in drylot ($280/cow) has allowed a move away from needing to irrigate perennial pasture over summer
- Providing shade is a critical part of developing a drylot and has reduced the impact of heat stress
- Maintaining the loafing area is another critical requirement for successful management of drylots
- Forage quality is critical – poor quality affects profitability
- Cows can be treated individually in this system
Download the case study.