Presentation of energy costs and emissions for Brasingtons at Maroon
Rod and Leann Brasington milk 180 cows on 80 hectares of irrigated rye, clover, kikuyu and lucerne, plus 105 ha of dryland pastures. Their electricity costs around $10,000 which equates to approximately 75.1 tonnes of greenhouse gases annually. The conclusions from an audit of their electricity usage were:
- Compare all options to save farm energy
- Don’t focus entirely on energy efficiency
- Water use efficiency, productivity, labour saving also come in to decision
- Do the low cost high return options first
- Options with payback <6 yrs with multiple benefits are very attractive (>16%/yr return)
Download the document.